Kale is not very tasty to eat raw. It’s tough,bitter and fibrous. But given a little special care, it actually can be made not only edible but delicious.
You can cook,sauté, steam or roast it, and also give it a massage. Yes, seriously! A real deep-tissue massage. It won’t take very long time — just a couple of minutes — but you'll be amazed at the difference. The tough cellulose structure will breakdown, leaves will become silky and soft, and bitterness will disappear.
There are so many different kind of kale in these days: dark green curly kale, Tuscan kale (lacinato or dinosaur), purple kale, red kale, etc. The good news is they all work equally well for salads.
1 large bunch raw kale
½ lemon, juiced
2 Roma tomatoes, shopped
½ cup green onion, shopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sliced raw almonds
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, shopped
2-3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
1. Remove stems and chop kale into thin ribbons.
2. Add lemon juice, sprinkle with little bit of saltand massage the kale to soften the leaves and cut the bitterness (2-3 min)
3. Let it rest for 20-30 min
4. Toast almonds and pumpkin seeds in a skillet overmedium heat until they begin to brown. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
5. Drain any liquid released from the kale.
6. Add tomatoes, green onion, celery, almonds,pumpkin seeds, fresh cilantro and olive oil to the kale and toss.
7. Season with sea salt and freshly ground blackpepper.
8.Top salad with shaved pecorino cheese (optional).